Wednesday 30 November 2016

Warley, grrr and other things

I went to the Warley MRC show at the NEC in Birmingham this last weekend to work on the F&WHR stand, it is a publicity thing but we sell a pile of Christmas cards and so on. This year we also had the new Minitrains Bagnalls in case anyone wanted one... several people did want one.

A pair of Bagnalls sitting on  Topsy

Curry
One of the best things, if not the best thing about gong to Birmingham for a couple of nights is the proximity to marvellous Indian resteraunts. We took full advantage of this and spent two delightful evenings in the Polash in Coleshill which I would heartily recommend... mmm...

Anyway, apart from the fantastic curry it was delightful to see the Heljan L&B locos in virtually finished form. The news seems to be that they will be ready and will arrive with us in February. 

Here I am holding one, sadly I had to give it back.

There were three on the Heljan stand and PECO had one on display too. Having had one in my grubby little mitts I can confirm that they have a decent weight to them and look brilliant. I had previously convinced myself that a Southern one was what I needed to go with my PECO SR coaches but now, having seen the L&B livery too I can't decide.




 
The lighting wasn't terribly good on the Heljan stand so the colour is a bit odd, the orange glow from the NEC lighting makes everything brown.

I tried to keep my wallet unopened but failed in this ambition, I came home with three rather nice little wagons, a coach and some bits and bobs which will partly be used to modify my new Bagnall.

The coach and wagons

I now have a small rake of these coaches, not sure why as they don't really go with anything else I have but I like them.

The wagons with Sphinx
 
Yesterday I got some time to work on the new layout and to add some more of the scenery, another Warley purchase was a sheet of 3D printed brickwork which I have used as the platform surface, it was mainly bought to use as pavement outside the Post Office etc. on Underhill Town.




I think this might turn out to be quite a fun little layout and I have already spent more than a few happy minutes watching a train wander round and round.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having recently built a very simple contiouous run layout, I have rediscovered the fun of watching the train go by, even if it does it everyfew seconds...

Phil Parker said...

I tested the finished Heljan Loco on Owen's Bridge and it runs very nicely too.

Lord Stoner said...

Jealous of that. Can't wait.

Harry Dawe said...

Hi there, please could you advise as to where the coach and wagons came from?
Thanks

Lord Stoner said...

The wagons are from Ferro Train and the coach is by Schmalspurmodelle. As I say I bought them at the Warley MRC show from traders there.